EMPLOYMENT DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
Helping families find stable housing is our number one goal at Transition House, and our clients cannot achieve that goal until they have the necessary income to pay rent and cover their household expenses. For most families in our community, this means they must obtain full-time employment at the highest level of their earning potential, and we provide as much support as possible to empower them to reach that goal. Our targeted employment supports include but are not limited to the following:
- Job matching with local employers looking for candidates (see more below)
- A “Clothing Closet” where clients shop for free shoes, clothing, and accessories (see more below)
- A full-time Employment Specialist for:
- One-on-one support with goal setting, accountability, and encouragement
- Interest and skill assessments
- Assistance with childcare applications
- Job search skill building such as:
- How to find open positions (including orientation to job search engines as well as networking, cold calling, and other strategies)
- How to fill out paper and online applications
- How to write a resume and cover letter
- Preparing for in-person and virtual interviews
- Soft skill building related to current or potential employment:
- Time management
- Conflict resolution, and more
- Job Club Workshops in English and Spanish
- Referrals to other agencies or programs, including assistance accessing hard skill-building resources such as Linked-In Learning.
- The “Resource Room” with access to a computer, printer, telephone, and webcam for virtual interviews or appointments.
- Assistance accessing sources of alternative income for clients who are permanently or temporarily disabled (e.g. assistance with SDI, SSI/SSDI applications, etc.
Our community members provide wonderful, new, and gently used shoes, clothing and accessory donations to stock our Clothing Closet. Our space is small, so unfortunately, we cannot accept all donations. Please contact our Employment Specialist by clicking here and she will contact you to let you know if we can accept your donation at this time. Other ways you can help our clients prepare for their new job are to donate items via our Amazon wish list or by donating a gift card where clients can purchase items in the size and style they need.
Employers! Find a qualified candidate and help a family find a home.
Transition House clients receive comprehensive life skills and career development training that prepares them to secure and maintain gainful employment.
As an Employer, Transition House can be a resource for you. Our agency partners with local businesses like yours to assist in meeting your workforce needs while also serving the employment goals of our hardworking clients. Our Employment Specialist can get to know your company, find out what your requirements are, and work with you to identify possible candidates for your job openings.
Transition House Employers include local partners such as Gelson’s, Home Improvement Center, Doubletree Inn, Home Depot, Ralph’s, Marriott, and USA Gas.
For more information about our employment partnership opportunity, please contact Dolores Z. Daniel, Employment Specialist, by clicking here or calling (805) 966-9668 x112.